Förderprogramm "Integration durch Qualifizierung IQ"

FAQ – Accidents at work

What counts as a work accident / an accident at work?

An accident at work is an accident that is directly related to carrying out your work, so if you...

  • … have an accident on the way to work or on the way home from work.
  • … have an accident while you are working.

Please note: accidents that happen at work during breaks are generally not insured. If you hurt yourself during your break, ask your employer or your family doctor whether this counts as a work accident.

If you have an accident at work, there are a few things to remember:

  • You must inform your employer directly if you have an accident.
  • If you work for a temporary employment agency, you must inform the company where you work and the temporary employment agency.
  • If you are injured, you should consult a Durchgangsarzt (medical referee, accident insurance consultant). They are specially trained in work accidents. If you need urgent and quick help, you can also contact a regular doctor/general practitioner.

You must always tell the doctor that the accident happened at work. The doctor will document exactly how, when and where the work accident occurred.

What is Verletztengeld (injury benefits) and how do you get it?

Verletztengeld (injury benefits) is not the same as Krankengeld (sick pay). It is only paid out if you are injured in an accident at work and are unable to work for more than three days. Injury benefits are usually around 60% to 80% of your normal gross pay. This won't be higher than your net salary.

To apply for injury benefits, you must inform your employer about the accident at work: The employer submits an accident report to the statutory accident insurance (Berufsgenossenschaft / employers' liability insurance association). The employers' liability insurance association will then send you questionnaires about the accident, which you must fill out and send back. If your employer does not contact the employers' liability insurance association, you should ask about this.

What is a Berufsgenossenschaft (employers' liability insurance association)?

Employers' liability insurance associations are the providers of statutory accident insurance for companies and businesses and their employees. They protect employees against accidents at work and occupational illnesses.

They pay the Verletztengeld (injury benefits), the costs of medical treatment, nursing care and medical rehabilitation. The association your company is insured with depends on the industry it operates in.

For how long do you receive Verletztengeld (injury benefits)?

You will usually receive injury benefits as from the 7th week of being unable to work. You will continue to receive your salary for the 6 weeks beforehand. You can receive injury benefits for a maximum of 78 weeks in total.

Injury benefits are only paid for more than 78 weeks if you are hospitalised for a long duration after your work accident (long inpatient treatment).

If the inability to work ends earlier, injury benefit payments will also stop.

Who pays you compensation in the event of an accident at work?

The employers' liability insurance association will not pay you any compensation for pain and suffering or damages.

It is a good idea to take out private accident insurance for this, which pays compensation for pain and suffering/damages. 

You should contact a Fair Integration advice centre beforehand to find out more!

Does your employer have to provide you with protective clothing?

Some fields of work mean that you are exposed to particular dangers. These include operating machinery, working on construction sites or in extreme weather conditions.

You must protect yourself from these dangers, for example with protective clothing, noise protection or sun protection. Your employer must provide you with these protective measures.

The law states that your employer must take measures to ensure your health and safety. Your employer also has to provide you with an occupational health and safety briefing/instructions. This briefing must make it possible for you to recognise and avoid hazards.

If you are unsure whether your employer is violating the rules of occupational health and safety, contact your Fair Integration advice centre!