Förderprogramm "Integration durch Qulifizierung IQ"

Do you need information about your rights at work in Germany?

Who can take parental leave?

Anyone who has a job at the beginning of parental leave. The following groups are included:

  • People with a temporary employment agreement
  • People with a mini job
  • Part-time employees
  • Students with a part-time job
  • Trainees 

How do you apply for parental leave pay?

During parental leave, the employer does not pay a salary. Parents can apply for parental leave pay. Certain rules apply:

  • You must live in Germany.
  • You live with your child.
  • You look after the child yourself. It can also be your partner’s child or an adopted child.
  • You do not work or work under 30 hours a week.

You can apply for parental leave pay online at Elterngeld-Digital if you live in these federal states: Berlin, Bremen, Hamburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saxony or Thuringia.

If you live in another federal state, you have to fill in an application form. You must then send the form and the original certificates to the Parental Leave Office by post or bring them in person. Find the address of the Parental Leave Office in your area. The Parental Leave Office can help you complete the application form.

There are three types of parental leave pay: Parental Leave Pay (Eltern-Geld), Parental Leave Pay Plus (Eltern-Geld Plus) and Partnership Bonus (Partnerschafts-Bonus). Parental Leave Pay Plus is half as much money as Parental Leave Pay. You can get Parental Leave Pay Plus for twice as long. Your partner can also get 2 months Parental Leave Pay or 4 months Parental Leave Pay Plus.

Parental leave pay without parental leave time

You do not necessarily have to take parental leave to receive parental leave pay. However, you must not work more than 30 hours per week while you receive parental leave pays. You can calculate online how much parental leave pay you can get. There is a parental leave pay calculator for this purpose.

Your entitlement to parental leave pay depends on your residence status.