What counts as a work accident / an accident at work?
An accident at work is an accident that is directly related to carrying out your work, so if you...
- … have an accident on the way to work or on the way home from work.
- … have an accident while you are working.
Please note: accidents that happen at work during breaks are generally not insured. If you hurt yourself during your break, ask your employer or your family doctor whether this counts as a work accident.
If you have an accident at work, there are a few things to remember:
- You must inform your employer directly if you have an accident.
- If you work for a temporary employment agency, you must inform the company where you work and the temporary employment agency.
- If you are injured, you should consult a Durchgangsarzt (medical referee, accident insurance consultant). They are specially trained in work accidents. If you need urgent and quick help, you can also contact a regular doctor/general practitioner.
You must always tell the doctor that the accident happened at work. The doctor will document exactly how, when and where the work accident occurred.